Friday, January 27, 2012

Memories

Let's assume that we are awake for 16 hours each day. That's nearly 6,000 hour a year. But, how many of those awake hours do we remember? And, why do we sometimes have memories of the most obscure events?

I have a vivid, decade old memory from my college days. One class let out and I needed to walk across the OSU oval for the next one. There was 15 minutes before the class started and a barrage of rain confronting me. In addition, my umbrella constantly inverted itself from the torment of the wind.  I remember feeling incredibly frustrated and irritated that I had deal with the nuisance of unbearable weather.

I'm confident this memory gobbled up better memories from that day but it's the one I have stored in my head.

Yesterday, I walked a total of 13 pups through a similar day of wind and rain. It wasn't until I returned home that I realized the physical impact of the weather. My socks were soaked and my shoes were squeaking from water. But, I was neither frustrated nor irritated. It was a good day enjoyed with incredible companions. My body was soaked but my soul was saturated with joy. 

Everyday is an adventure in the pet care business. Ten years from now, I'm not sure what will be the predominant memories from this chapter in my life. I hope it includes walking two dogs in the middle of a monsoon, at the height of lunch hour traffic, with no umbrella and a smile on my face :-)


Here are a few pictures of Winston & Debit after the rain tapered off.







Until next time..Woof!

No comments:

Post a Comment